Thursday 7 June 2012

My little joy giver

Of all the small daily developments the little man is showing us, my favourite one so far is the joy he gets from giving. It took a while to come but I love to see the flicker of quiet satisfaction that crosses his face and twitches at the edges of his mouth when he cuts out a playdough heart and ceremoniously offers it to his chosen recipient - daddy, grandpa, our friend Laura (much to her delight) and me when I am lucky.
We make a big fuss when he does and seeing our happy reaction he snatches up his cutter and busily starts work on his next gift. The more he does it, the more we praise - I want him to start giving and never stop his whole life.
Generosity, in my opinion, is one of the most attractive traits in a person. It is something his daddy has running through him, and if we can bring up our son to be one of life's givers rather than takers, I would consider my task as a mother done and done well - although if he also turns out to be tall and handsome, sporty, creative, good at public speaking, a whiz on the guitar and piano, financially stable with a dry sense of humour and always always holds the door open for others that would also be rather nice.

1 comment:

  1. Must confess.....Brought a little tear to my eye.....Lovely...! :0).
    "Watch Your Thoughts For They Become Words...
    Watch Your Words, For They Become Actions....
    Watch Your Actions, For They Become Habits...
    Watch Your Habits, For They Become Character...
    Watch Your Character, For It becomes Your......Destiny...."!

    ReplyDelete