Wednesday 2 May 2012

DIY playdough

Wasn't the weather on Sunday horrid? The rain and wind was so strong our green plastic bin was hurled about the garden. I watched its unhappy course with fascination from the safety of our living room, happy to be inside. That said, being shut away does have its downsides, especially with an energetic toddler displaying all the early signs of cabin fever. Books read, puzzles done, Postman Pat watched and I was running out of ideas - so I decided to make some playdough.
The little man loves playdough - so much so that you have to spell out the word rather than say it otherwise he tends to get into an excited stupour before you have all the bits and pieces ready, and you end up getting all the bits and pieces ready with him following you around wingeing and trying to climb up your leg.
I realise I might sound a bit smug telling you I do DIY playdough but smugness didn't come into it - if anything it was sheer laziness.
I had two options that day - brave the elements and bundle a disgruntled almost two-year-old into the car to drive to the shops for some, or google how to make playdough and have a go myself. The latter sounded less wet with fewer tantrums.
And I am so glad I did. It was EASY. Everyone should do it. I found a recipe, bunged all the ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat, stirred for a few minutes and there I had it - an enormous ball of playdough, ready for some serious shape cutting. Far too much in fact. I gave some away the next day to a grateful fellow mum down the road.
The end product of my endeavours was beautifully soft and worked a treat, entertaining the little man for a good chunk of the day. And after he had finished, I popped the playdough into a tupperware box and shoved it in the fridge for next time. Job done.
If you haven't discovered the joys of making playdough yet, here is the recipe I used, and it was brilliant. Happy cooking.

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1.5 cups salt
6 teaspoons cream of tartar (yes, I did have some in the cupboard - they are well stocked)
3 tablespoons oil
3 cups water
Colouring as required


Method:
Stir play dough continuously over a low heat until mixture leaves the sides of the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment